PlayStation Network Attacked by Hackers

Sony has confirmed an outage of the PlayStation Network from an outside attack that overwhelmed the company’s online service, which is part of a bizarre tale including the flight of the president of Sony’s Online sector being diverted due to security.

In a Sunday statement, Sony said that the company Sony Entertainment Network and PlayStation Network had been hit by an attempt to overwhelm the network with high traffic that is artificial. Sony was working to fix the PSN network quickly said the Sunday statement.

On Monday, Sony released another statement that said its PlayStation Network was back working and online after going off line following the overwhelm attack.

The company was quick to point out that artificial traffic had forced the network to go offline, but said nothing was accessed, including personal information of customers by those attacking the site.

Lizard Squad a computer group claimed credit for Sunday’s attack including several others against the developers of World of Warcraft and Hearthstone, Blizzard Entertainment. In addition, Riot Games the makers of League of Legends had also been attacked by the same group.

The group attacked the sites with a distributed denial of service attack or DDOS, which clogs a service or network with artificial traffic so much so it because unavailable for the users.

The flight of John Smedley the chief of Sony Online was diverted to Phoenix from San Diego after a tweet was sent by Lizard Squad to American Airlines saying his plane had explosives aboard.

A spokesperson for American confirmed that the flight from Dallas had been diverted due to an issue that was security related.

Smedley confirmed later that his flight had been diverted.

PSN has been targeted previously by hackers. In 2011, the online service was down for over a month after hackers compromised it.

The intrusion exposed personal data of 77 million users.

Sony said a scheduled maintenance was planned for Monday but was postponed due to the attack.

Questions regarding the attack and explosives on board an aircraft were referred to the FBI.

This story was originally published by WKRB News ( and is the sole property of WKRB News. If you are reading this article on another website, that means this article was illegally copied and re-published to this website in violation of U.S. and International copyright law. You can view the original version of this story at


Leave a Reply

© 2006-2017 WKRB News.